Subject: How to make new boot floppy
To: #List NetBSD i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Charlie ROOT <root@pc1.whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/1998 22:06:02
OK, I've really done it this time - I neglected to read the
instructions...

So, I've got a new PC, and I downloaded the 19981117a snapshot to my old
PC.  Then I booted up the installation floppy on the new PC and
proceeded to reformat the entire (and only) hard drive for use by
NetBSD.  So far, so good.

But then I discover that the kernel in the install floppy doesn't
support my 3Com 3C905B (ex) Ethernet card, so now I've got no way to
load the distribution .tgz files across my network, and I've got nothing
else to use for loading!  :(

I've already rebuilt a customized INSTALL kernel, removing a whole lot
of stuff I don't need for the new PC (like, all the SCSI stuff) and
added the ex driver.  Then I copied that new kernel onto the install
floppy.

But when I boot, and it goes to try and mount the md0a file system, I
get an error "no file system for md0 (dev 0x1100)".

I'm guessing that I also have to somehow get my new customized INSTALL
kernel stuffed into the boot.fs image on the install floppy.  But I have
no idea how to do that.  I'm guessing it has something to do with using
mdconfig or mdsetimage (or maybe both), but the man pages on these are
pretty spartan.

Any help at all will be appreciated - I really don't want to have to
spend hours (or even days) reinstalling Win98 on this PC, just to go and
wipe it out with NetBSD.  :)

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |