Subject: Re: Merging Net/Free/Open-BSD together against Linux
To: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/25/1998 14:28:34
> > In the short term, those in the core of the BSD's could perhaps start
> > thinking about small, incremental steps, like unifying some of the
> > device drivers, using a common directory structure and naming
> > conventions, eliminating the "domestic" and incorporating strong crypto
>
> My only concern with this is that we *have* been trying to make small,
> incremental steps for about 3 years now and every initiative has
> failed due to lack of energy invested.  There was even a machine
> donated by Paul Vixie which I bought a large drive for to be our
> communal development repository, but nobody from either project so
> much as logged in for about 6 months and the machine was eventually
> decommissioned or turned over to the OpenBSD folks, I don't remember
> which.
>
> In any case, I just don't see shared development as working out.

Umm- far be it from me to disagree, but there is de facto shared
development by those of us who have commit privileges in both groups.
We'd like this shared development to be easier. We'd also like to be able
to prescribe large doses of valium for some members of these organizations
who fight against shared development (I'm *not* fingerpointing here) :-)