Subject: Re: Merging Net/Free/Open-BSD together against Linux
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@internetpaper.com>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/25/1998 14:15:28
> 4 CD copy of FreeBSD 3.0, although they refused to sell me a BSD plush
> doll that I really wanted.  :-(  (Do you know where I can buy one online
> in North America?)

I'm afraid the only place they're available is here:
http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html

The smaller stuffed plushie you probably saw came from Plathome in
Tokyo and requires a trip to Japan in order to obtain one.  Japan in
general has become the premier place to shop for daemon merchandise
and we make a couple of trips a year now to see what they've come up
with recently.  Recommended. :)

> In the short term, those in the core of the BSD's could perhaps start
> thinking about small, incremental steps, like unifying some of the
> device drivers, using a common directory structure and naming
> conventions, eliminating the "domestic" and incorporating strong crypto

My only concern with this is that we *have* been trying to make small,
incremental steps for about 3 years now and every initiative has
failed due to lack of energy invested.  There was even a machine
donated by Paul Vixie which I bought a large drive for to be our
communal development repository, but nobody from either project so
much as logged in for about 6 months and the machine was eventually
decommissioned or turned over to the OpenBSD folks, I don't remember
which.

In any case, I just don't see shared development as working out.
Everyone is too heads-down in their own trees and already seriously
overcomitted to work that needs doing there to really look into
merging or "meta work" of the sort required to keep a shared
development scheme viable.  Every USENIX we meet and discuss ways of
doing this, and after every USENIX we watch the latest initiatives
nose dive from complete and total lack of interest.

- Jordan