Subject: Re: probing CPU speed?
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/19/1998 10:38:30
On 19-Nov-98 Charles M. Hannum spoke unto us all:
#  One thing to keep in mind here is that the kernel, in general, cannot
#  reliably use a cycle counter for anything internal.

While it would be nice to have such a mhz probing method spit out a "300mhz
cpu" in the kernel.. it's bound to loose occasionally.  Even mhz sometimes
spits out garbage values.. (I've had it tell me my multia is a 20 mhz machine,
and then 30 seconds later its 200Mhz..)

My real fear of something like this is:

"I booted netbsd today on my AMD-K12-1700 and it said I was only running at
1633Mhz.  What do I need to do to use the rest of my cpu under netbsd?  Does
netbsd not work on my cpu?"

An interesting note though.. When I've fiddled with overclocking in the past..
the BIOS has allways correctly printed out the speed of the cpu.  I wonder how
it does it?  Does it store it somewhere readable?

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org