Subject: Re: PCIC on PCI
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/1998 15:53:33
>That too. The PCIC PCI attachment is just for chips that appear on the
>PCI bus but act like the i82365. The Cardbus chips act totally
>differently when you talk to their PCI interface than they do when you
>talk to their ISA interface, so they need a completely separate
>driver. (Cardbus is really hot-swappable PCI in a PC Card form factor,
>not PCMCIA plus some extra bus lines.)

One _minor_ nit ... while that's true about CardBus, all CardBus chipsets
I've seen _also_ support PCMCIA cards.  99% of them also support the 82365
register set, so the mostly "just work".

Doing a PCIC PCI attachment is relatively easy.  Doing a CardBus attachment
is harder.  I've looked at what needs to be done for the latter, but I
have not yet written any code (it's on the list, but it's a long list and
it's waaaayy down on the list :-/ ).

--Ken