Subject: Re: PCIC on PCI
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/1998 12:03:09
> Is there a PCI attachment for the PCIC in the works?

*Poof*. PR 6436. (I wrote this a while ago, but just got around to
reporting-to-current and submitting it now.)

> Am I totally confused on how these things really are working?

That too. The PCIC PCI attachment is just for chips that appear on the
PCI bus but act like the i82365. The Cardbus chips act totally
differently when you talk to their PCI interface than they do when you
talk to their ISA interface, so they need a completely separate
driver. (Cardbus is really hot-swappable PCI in a PC Card form factor,
not PCMCIA plus some extra bus lines.)

There was some discussion on one of the lists (I'm sure you can find
an archive somewhere ;) a while back about doing Cardbus, but I don't
think it went anywhere.

-- Dan