Subject: Re: How to make a bootable i386 installation CD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/1998 14:09:46
On 12.11.98, 12:32:07, Markus Illenseer wrote:
> > So then you have long filenames which will work under Windows, but not
> > with NetBSD? That seems backward..
>
>  Joliet and ISO 9660 are co-existant, as far as I know. Both will have
> long filenames. NetBSD does of course have the priority.

IIRC, Joliet, just like RockRidge, is an extension to ISO9660, I don't
know if those can coexist. And although ISO9660 in itself is able to
deal with filenames longer than 8+3, it is not recommended, because
DOS and relatives cannot deal with that properly. And you are still
limited in directory depth and file name case, which is probably not
acceptable for a Unix CD-ROM.

If you can use both Joliet and RR on the same image, go ahead, it will
make things easier for Windows users, it not, please stick with RR.

--
Bernd Sieker