Subject: Re: booting from an LS-120 drive...
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Mike Pelley <mike@pelley.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/11/1998 13:40:25
>Interesting.  Maybe I just got unlucky.  Which IDE channel/position was
yours
>in?

Both the hard drive and the LS120 are plugged into the initial IDE
controller.  However...

Wolfgang Solfrank writes:
>(don't ask me what sense this does make).  Those BIOSs will, after reading
>the first sector off the floppy, patch the supposedly Bios Parameter Block
>with some values they consider proper for the disk in the drive.  Now
>with NetBSD (and Solaris, too) there is no BPB, but there is code at the
>same place.  After the patch...

I did happen to update my BIOS to the latest version to get the LS120's to
boot at all (Windows or NetBSD) so perhaps my BIOS is just a bit friendlier
than most to NetBSD (after the upgrade)...

Is there a BIOS upgrade available for your motherboard?

Mike.