Subject: Re: booting from an LS-120 drive...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, seebs@plethora.net>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/11/1998 17:43:50
Hi,

> I've got a box with an LS-120.  It works great under NetBSD.  However, I
> can't boot NetBSD off of it.  In fact, the only things I can boot off of
> it are Windows and DOS.  (A friend says OS/2 Warp 4 has a patched set of
> boot disks that work.)
>
> Why is this?  Do we need a different boot block, or just a different /boot?
> How hard would it be to get this supported?  Am I just doing this wrong?

Ok, turns out that a collegue of mine (jk@tools.de) had just inspected this
(while trying to boot Solaris off of it).

The problem is that some BIOSs have "special support" for LS-120 drives
(don't ask me what sense this does make).  Those BIOSs will, after reading
the first sector off the floppy, patch the supposedly Bios Parameter Block
with some values they consider proper for the disk in the drive.  Now
with NetBSD (and Solaris, too) there is no BPB, but there is code at the
same place.  After the patch...

I've just committed a fix that at least makes booting work on my collegue's
machine.  Hope it helps yours, too.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--