Subject: Re: booting from an LS-120 drive...
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/11/1998 01:16:33
seebs@plethora.net writes:
> I was using a plain old floppy; I just made a floppy on a PC with a regular
> drive.
>
> BTW, if I use an LS-120 in an already installed machine to write a boot
> floppy, that boot floppy works fine in a regular floppy drive, so we're
> getting along just fine with the LS-120's 1.44MB format.  It just seems not
> to work to boot.

I suppose the real question is one of how the BIOS presents the device
to client programs.

BTW, there is nothing shockingly special about the boot code. Its all
just C with some assembler hooks. Have a look in arch/i386/stand/ to
see how it all fits together. You can easily build custom boot blocks
and add debugging code in.

Perry