Subject: Re: How to warn about disks with obsolescent MBR id 165?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1998 20:31:27
> "WARNING: disk appears to be old-NetbSD or FreeBSD. See installboot(8).\n"
>
> Would you prefer it was changed (back) to the "very clear" message?

>I would, as I find your new message confusing.

Uh, the other suggesions were mine. this one is is Todd's text, I think.

A number of other users (non-developers) say they find it the clearest
of all. Those were non-developers. My guess is they werent as au-fait
with the ID values as you and I, and so found the _meaning_ of
Todd's(?)  message clearer even though it doesnt have the ID values.
my guess is thats more representative of the users we should target
than the developer community or users running -current, but maybe you
know better.

Point taken, though.  There was no feedback about it for some days; I
thought debate _was_ over.  In the haste to get a fix for MBR ids in
before the curtain goes down on 1.3.3, I overlooked that I'd recently
asked about the message text in a second venue.

For -current, I'm trying to figure out how to put the "find an MBR
entry" into a "library" so that we can do a reachover, and use one
copy of the source and logic rather than the 5 or 6 we have now: i386
kernel proper, bootblocks, disklabel(8), arm32 kernel, and (iirc)
macppc.  But I dont want to drop that into 1.3.3.