Subject: Re: How to warn about disks with obsolescent MBR id 165?
To: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1998 11:47:02
>> WARNING: MBR ID 165 for NetBSD is obsolete. See installboot(8) for upgrading.
>I like this message.  It is very clear.

Hm. OK, the patch I submitted to 1.3.3 has Todd Vierling's suggestion:

"WARNING: disk appears to be old-NetbSD or FreeBSD. See installboot(8).\n"

Would you prefer it was changed (back) to the "very clear" message?

> disks anymore.  Will that cause problems for anyone?
>Fraid not.  FreeBSD seems to look for a disklabel rather than the
>partition id.  So it (3.0 -current) is forever telling me:

I had used Freebsd-2.2.5, which didnt grok 169. I'm told 2.2.7 is
fine.  But if Freebsd-3.0 enforces slice boundaries, the right thing
to do is to set up FreeBSD mounts for the native slices, surely?