Subject: Re: How to warn about disks with obsolescent MBR id 165?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/1998 20:26:58
On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: >: Which I think is fine except for one detail.  If we do this on a
: >: two-disk system with NetBSD on one disk (with either ID) and with
: >: FreeBSD on a second disk, the NetBSD kernel will warn about changing
: >: the _FreeBSD_ dissk' ID to 169.
:
: >Um, we should not warn about the existence of a 165 parition if a 169
: >exists, IMHO.
:
: But there _is_ no 169 partition on the second disk: its FreeBSD-only.
: It has a 165 partition and no 169 partition. So NetBSD is going to warn.

Sorry, I missed the phrase "two-disk".  :/

This situation is a little weird, but would be cleared up a bit if the
warning were issued with the appropriate device name attached.