Subject: Re: How to warn about disks with obsolescent MBR id 165?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/1998 16:51:17
Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> writes:

>: Which I think is fine except for one detail.  If we do this on a
>: two-disk system with NetBSD on one disk (with either ID) and with
>: FreeBSD on a second disk, the NetBSD kernel will warn about changing
>: the _FreeBSD_ dissk' ID to 169.

>Um, we should not warn about the existence of a 165 parition if a 169
>exists, IMHO.

But there _is_ no 169 partition on the second disk: its FreeBSD-only.
It has a 165 partition and no 169 partition. So NetBSD is going to warn.

Its not like this is a particuarly rare case, since for 1.3.x users,
thats the only way to get FreeBSD and NetBSD to coexist (or for
-current, before Duncan's patch went in.)

and you're not the only one to make the same mistake...  the crucial
point is that an ID of 165 isnt wrong at all, in the case where its on
a FreeBSD partition on a non-NetBSD disk:).

Perhaps eventually (2.0? later?) the warning should be
"No NetBSD MBR partition found, using FreeBSD partition"...