Subject: Re: putting a NetBSD disklabel on an IDE partition other than the
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/1998 16:45:03
>In addition, the following in the DOSPTYP_386BSD should be either made more
>explanatory or nuked:

>printf("WARNING: old BSD partition ID!\n");
>
>It's already known to be confusing to users.

i know what it means so thoroughly i dont understand whats confusing.
it means that
   1) the user booted a -current kernel,
   2) that kernel expects a -current partition ID,
   3) and it didn't find any, so
   4) it's using the old one (and warning the user.)

If you can say what the confusion is about, or suggest how the message
can be improved, I'll improve it. Does

printf("WARNING: no NetBSD partition (ID 169) found, using I386BSD partition (ID 165)!\n");

work for you?

PS: I have a patch for 1.3.3, and it seems to work.  But I dont have a
partition Are there any volunteers out there who _havent_ updated
their MBR partition ID?