Subject: Re: putting a NetBSD disklabel on an IDE partition other than the 4th
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/1998 15:40:43
>We're in the process of switching MBR #. 165 is the old one, and 169 is
>the new. If you're using 1.3{,.1,.2}, use 165. 1.3.3 _might_ get taught
>about 169.

Umm, sysinst sort-of groks 169 as being intended for NetBSD if you set
up the partition explicitly. It's the kernel that needs to be educated
to look for a partition of 169, and use it in preference to a
partition of 165.

That may have to be an option (just in case developers are exploiting
the loophole to run 1.3.x and -current on different MBR partitions of
the same disk -- anyone doing this?) but i see no reason not to turn
on the option by default for INSTALL and GENERIC kernels (since the
most-probable cause is co-existing with FreeBSD, and if developers
want shady tricks, well, they can UTSL).