Subject: Re: XFCom_NeoMagic linux binary working on NetBSD?
To: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/1998 13:18:30
duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ said:
> If I just run
> 	./XFCom_NeoMagic
> the server prints
> 	Fatal server error:
> 	xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty2 (No such file or directory)
> and exits.  If I start it as
> 	./XFCom_NeoMagic vt0
> (with a symlink from /emul/linux/dev/tty0 -> /dev/ttyv0) I get
> 	xf86OpenConsole: VT_ACTIVATE failed

I once got a Linux X server binary running with NWSCONS.
It uses the same interface to virtual consoles, so most
issues should be valid for pcvt too.
Linux numbers the VTs beginning from 1; my symlinks were
set up:
/emul/linux/dev/tty -> /dev/tty
/emul/linux/dev/tty0 -> tty
/emul/linux/dev/tty1 -> /dev/ttyE0
/emul/linux/dev/tty2 -> /dev/ttyE1
[...]

For pcvt, s/ttyE/ttyv/g.

I don't know why the VT_ACTIVATE failes - this might be related to
the fact that vt0 is already active. However, X should use its own
screen. With the symlinks set up properly, you should be able to
use /dev/tty2 (which is the second VT).

> linux_machdepioctl: invalid ioctl 00005603

This is not the VT_ACTIVATE, it's VT_GETSTATE which is not
emulated by pcvt (but by wscons). It's mostly harmless, perhaps
the X server will not be able to restore state when it exits.

Hope this helps
best regards
Matthias