Subject: Re: PCMCIA CIS irqmask being ignored?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/03/1998 16:29:30
>> Using the card's IRQ mask makes IRQ allocation for your system a lot harder
>> as it doesn't matter for any PCMCIA-card which IRQ it uses, becauses this is
>> routed in the PCIC chip. PCMCIA has only one IRQ line (pin 16, aka READY).
>
>Right now, PCMCIA interrupt allocation simply doesn't work.   If the
>BIOS is providing us clues as to what interrupt lines _might_ work,
>and we're ignoring them, that's a bug.   If fixing the bug means that
>the interrupt allocation code needs to be a little more complicated,
>then it needs to be a little more complicated.

Okay, let me restate the problem as I understand it:

- There does not seem to be a "normal" way to ask the BIOS anything about
  available interrupts.
- What other operating systems seem to do is (at least Linux and FreeBSD)
  is use the ability of the PCIC chip to generate interrupts on demand
  and test all interrupts to see if they are usable or not.
- During autoconfiguration, interrupts are masked, so this isn't possible
  under NetBSD.

I'm willing to work on this, however, I don't know what to do about the
lack of interrupts during autoconfiguration.  Can anyone give some
guidance?

--Ken