Subject: Re: Networking oddities
To: George Coulouris <glc5@cornell.edu>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/1998 16:17:47
On Nov 1,  5:25pm, George Coulouris wrote:
>Now, the strange things:
>telnet is slow.
>nntp is slow.
>web browsing is slow.
>
>By slow, I mean the server will send some data, pause for 10-30 seconds,
>send some more data.. Unusably slow. telnet feels like a bursty 1200 baud
>modem, if that.

I dunno if it's related, but I had a similar problem.  Two NE2000 clones, but
it was just to some sites that slowdown occured.  Access to ftp.netbsd.org
was fast, access to my regular isp was slow.  Some other sites were fast, and
others yet were slow.  I didn't have problems like that when the modem was
plugged into my Mac.  So I replaced the card connected to the modem with an
Intel EtherExpress and the problems went away...

~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

Parker's Law:
	Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone.