Subject: Re: bootable CDROM?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/30/1998 13:40:24
Hi,

> > In ISO9660, these are free, and El Torito doesn't use them either (well,
> > actually you may use this space for El Torito information, as well as you
> > may use it for e.g. Rock Ridge information, but both can be anywhere on disk).
>
>  Anywere? I doubt that the standard BIOS of a PC is able to seek the
> "El Torito" information just anywhere on the CD.

Hmm, do you have evidence for that?  I cannot imagine any reason why it
wouldn't work.  Of course the label record has to be somewhere with the
other label records, i.e. in the sectors starting at 16.  But AFAICT, there
is no restriction for the data pointed to by this label.

> > And you can simply boot a memory image from the CDROM into memory and
> > just run that.
>
>  Oh? This sounds very interesting.

You probably know where to find a copy of the spec, but for anyone else
interested: have a look at http://www.ptltd.com/products/specs-cdrom.pdf.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--