Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: Ted Lemon , Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/1998 23:40:23
On Oct 25,  3:41pm, Ted Lemon wrote:
}
} Hm.   The 1.3 release is almost a year old now.   We are expecting to
} do a 1.3.3 release shortly, but if I were you, I'd target the 1.4

     I've been noticing the signs of this for a bit now.  Is there a
timeframe for it?

} release - that should be out by mid-January, and if you have a driver

     This, I don't believe.  First, I can't remember any NetBSD
release being on schedule.  Second, it's only 2.5 months aways, and
crosses the christmas holidays, when nothing happens, but the process
hasn't even been started (i.e. there has been no announcement about,
or a date given for feature freeze and branching of the CVS tree).
Third, people are reporting major problems with egcs and UVM.  Given
these factors, I don't see how 1.4 could possibly be released in
mid-January.

} against your better judgement, I would suggest that you port to
} -current.   If you don't want to support users running -current, wait

     I wouldn't.  It's not reasonable to expect a third party
developer to support a development version of the OS.  He may wish to
port to -current, so that he can support 1.4 right after it comes out;
but, not actually release code until 1.4 ships.

}-- End of excerpt from Ted Lemon