Subject: Re: bootable CDROM?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/1998 20:57:03
> : Hmm, what, apart from an eventual BSD disklabel would you want to write
> : into the first 16 sectors (assuming you meant sectors above) of the CD?
> Why does the BSD disklabel matter for i386?  Rock Ridge files should be
> perfectly fine.  :>

I had, actually, hoped to back up my root partition by simply dd'ing it
to a CD.  Alas, it turns out to be much more complicated than that.  (In
fact, the cd.c driver does not read any form of disk label from CDs, so
I'll have to use Rock Ridge anyway.)

However, it will be nice to be able to boot from an emergency CD and repair
filesystems, just like a modern operating system.  ;-)