Subject: Linux netscape 4.5 (release) and really big pages -> -current lockup
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/1998 14:24:51
Hi -

  I've tripped on a problem where opening a REALLY BIG PAGE will
cause my -current of sources supped on Oct 23 to hang all user-level
activity.  Disks still sync (so update is running), pings are
replied to, and TCP connections are opened, but otherwise it behaves
as if the old VM were in use and there was no memory available.

  There is PLENTY of memory on the system, more in physical memory
than the datasize rlimit, and several multiples of that in swap partitions.

  Two locations are repeatable so far:

	http://bladeenc.home.ml.org/
		-- click on Download
		   -- click *middle* button on the BladeEnc072-i386-linux.tar.gz
		      button

	http://www.lightning.net/~snash/
		-- click on "Digital Photo Gallery"

   I don't know if this is a version issue or not, but that a user-mode
program can bring down a machine, something's wrong. :(

   Maybe someone has ideas, or can repeat this?

	Sean.