Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/1998 15:02:01
Dennis writes:
> Why do you think that BSDI users mostly use Buslogic SCSI cards?
> Because they are the best? No, because BSDI has spent the most time
> on that driver...(they use it themselves and probably some of their
> big clients do also), while other OSs dont support it at all or it
> isnt nearly as good as the adaptec.

You fail to mention why this is.

Buslogic publishes their specs openly and gives away lots of help to
driver writers. Adaptec doesn't, or at least didn't. Thus, Buslogic
for a long time was *the* vendor supported on most *BSDs.

I have serious doubts your drivers would be stolen by anyone else, but
by opening your specs, and even actively encouraging open source
drivers, you'd probably get a similar lock. It seems, though, that you
regard yourself as a combination software/hardware vendor. Again, I
don't see that this is a decision I can tell you not to make, but you
should note that it isn't the only possible way to live, and that
other business models are just as valid for other people.

My complaint is not that you've made a business decision I disagree
with. My complaint is that you flamed us saying "this is why no one
wants to deal with Free Unixes", when of course, plenty of vendors
*do* deal with us, and to their profit. I don't mean to tell you how
to live your life, but please don't flame me for innocently intended
advice that I think of as good.

Perry