Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/1998 12:48:02
At 11:49 AM 10/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
To paraphrase your own words back:

>No, but you are demonstrating your lack of understanding, as are most of
>the other people in your vendor camp.  Any OS that tries to make
>everyone use it regardless of their requirements doesn't have a
>marketing plan worth implementing.  If you can do without a complete;
>extremely portable; highly interoperable; well designed, stable, and
>fast; freely available and redistributable; highly standards compliant;
>UNIX-like operating system then you aren't a candidate to use our
>product.

But they can, because they can use FreeBSD, which fits your
description, at least in the i386 world which is all that matters to us.

>> Most of our customer base are BSD/OS and NetBSD convertees.
>
>That's odd.  One of the products I know that incorporates support for
>your products is based on BSD/OS and you seem to continue to advertise
>BSD/OS compatability on your web page....  Why yould you support BSD/OS
>and then try to convince BSD/OS users to use FreeBSD?

Because we are not supporting BSD/OS 4.0 and beyond.. Most of the convertees
converted because they saw no reason to pay for BSDI when they could get
the same functionality with FreeBSD. Not our doing, but a natural migration.

Clearly your words indicate that you are not interested in having a widely
popular OS, which certainly is a major criteria for a vendor.

db