Subject: Re: Q for i386 FAQ
To: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/1998 08:03:18
Thus spake Joel Reicher
> > You shouldn't have to recompile the kernel for DST.  Just set rtc_offset to
> > zero and symlink /etc/localtime to the proper file in /usr/share/zoneinfo.
>
> Sorry, I should have been more specific. I need to keep the hardware clock
> to local time because I also have DOS/Windows on my system.
>
> I imagine there are others in the same boat.
>
> Or am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this?

Ah.  That's a problem then.  Hmmm.  If I had to do that I would set
up rc.local to run rdate and do something similar in DOS/Windows.  I
assume there is some program out there that does the same as rdate.
Of course this depends on being connected to a Unix system on bootup
so it may not help you.  I guess you could just run the date command
on bootup and set it manually every time you reboot but that's ugly.