Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1998 17:54:00
Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com> writes:
> Plainly put: if we wanted to run software for which we had no source,
> we would be running Windows NT or Solaris or something.   [...]

That's true for some users, and, for other users for certain chunks of
the source, undoubtedly, yes.

But again, it is _not_ true for all.  For instance, there are users of
NetBSD who, say, use AFS with NetBSD.  Many of them do _not_ have
source for it (if they did, we wouldn't hear them asking for new
versions to be compiled for -current 8-).

My core thought: don't let a vocal set of what i'll call "open source
bigots" dissuade you from trying to sell your closed-source product.
Sure, some users may choose based on open- vs non-open- source
policies, but for others, as long as they end up with a working card
(with the price or other attributes that they care about), open-source
policy doesn't make a difference.

cgd