Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1998 20:13:05
> Its chatter like this that drives vendors away from "Free" unices, you know.
> Its the driver that makes the card, not the other way around.

Sigh.  Dennis, I've heard about your cards for a long time.  Vixie
Enterprises actually considered putting it into a product, but decided
not to because of the driver issue.  Instead, we wrote and contributed
the SDL driver.

Vixie Enterprises needed to be running a specific kernel with our own
modifications, and we couldn't have that be the kernel for which you
offered support.  So we didn't even call you, because porting to the
SDL board was easier.

I'm not trying to beat you up about this - it's your software and your
decision - but I don't see where your historical strategy has ever had
much hope of success in the NetBSD market.  NetBSD users are
interested in software that they can make work the way they want it -
they don't expect the vendor to dictate what software they will run.
If you want to be in this marketplace, you have to answer to that
need.  It may be that the best choice for you is to just stay out of
this market, much as we NetBSD users would prefer otherwise.

I just want to point out that this is not a function of "chatter like
this" from NetBSD people.  We're not wrong.  We're addressing our own
needs.  If your needs don't coincide with ours, and we can't find some
common ground, then let us part as friends and wish each other well,
rather than venting frustration over the fact that each others' needs
are not what we would like them to be.

			       _MelloN_