Subject: Re: audio not working?
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1998 10:53:44
Excerpts from mail: 26-Oct-98 Re: audio not working?  by "John F.
Woods"@jfwhome.
> I have another board based on the OPL3-SA3 chip.  There was a bug in the
> probe in -current a while back, which was fixed about October 10.  If you're
> using an up-to-the-minute -current, the problem could be the IDE port on
> the OPL3-SA3 chip, which our wd driver almost but not quite recognizes (and
> probing it wrong seems to leave the chip's interrupt circuitry hosed).  In
> this latter case, I'd try removing the wdc* line from your config file and
> replacing it with explicit lines for the controllers you know you have
> (you won't need to specify addresses, just enumerate wdc0 (and wdc1 if
> needed)), and see if that helps.

    Hmm. Sources were sup'ed 10/16, and I don't believe this card even
has an IDE interface.  It doesn't show on Windows 95, and the only
connector on the board is for a wavetable device.  Plus I don't have any
wdc's uncommented on my system, it's entirely SCSI, even the
motherboard's onboard controller is disabled in the BIOS / not enabled
in my kernel.  And since the audio doesn't work on my ESS (SoundBlaster
Pro compatible) either, I don't think it's just a problem with the ym
device.

    Thanks for the info.

                                                          Will Ferry