Subject: audio not working?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1998 01:12:00
    So I returned the PnP sound card I had trouble getting to detect
about a month ago, and picked up another cheapo card to try this
weekend.  This board seems to have better luck, after adding some lines
to isapnpdevs I was able to detect a ym0 and joy0 on the card (still two
devices that it did not detect).  It was actually more difficult to
convince Windows95 to properly detect this PnP card...  =)  However, I
seem to be having no luck getting audio to function in NetBSD on either
of my i386 boxes, with either of their sound cards.  Both seem to work
fine in DOS & Windows 95.

    My 486 has an ESS 1688 (or something similar) ISA (non-PnP) card,
that detects as sb0 and used to work (probably haven't tried it in close
to 4-6 months).  The PPro has the new card, an Asound Gold ALS100+-based
PnP card.  Here are the corresponding dmesg results:

sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 10 drq 1: dsp v3.01
audio0 at sb0

ym0 at isapnp0 port 0x220/16 irq 5 drq 1,0
ym0: PnP Sound Chip : OPL3-SA3
audio0 at ym0

On both machines, these are the only devices at the specified IRQ, base
address, etc, so it shouldn't be a resource conflict.  Both systems are
rather maxed out on IRQs, and both have lpt0 active at IRQ 7.  I tried
the ESS card in both systems, the PnP card in only the PPro.

    Guess I haven't given the symptom yet.  It's pretty simple.  If I
try to cat a .au file to to /dev/audio, nothing happens.  The shell
hangs, and nothing comes through the audio device.  I can kill the
process with ^C, it's not like the system hangs or anything.  But the
important thing is I get no sound...  =)

    Am I doing something wrong here?  It's been a while since I used any
audio device on my systems, but I know cat'ing a .au to /dev/audio used
to work.  Is there some way I can further test that audio is or isn't
working?

FWIW the necessary device lines for the ALS100+ were:

devlogic        joy    @P@1001        Avance Logic ALS100+
devlogic        ym     @@@1001        Avance Logic ALS100+

The unrecognized lines are:

isapnp0: <PnP Sound Chip, @H@1001, , > port 0x388/8 not configured
isapnp0: <PnP Sound Chip, @X@1001, , > port 0x100/2 irq 10 not configured

Windows 95 detects a device at 0x388-0x38F as an "Internal Midi (OPL3)
Device" and a device at 0x170-0x171, irq10 as an "External Midi (MPU401)
Device" (plus the sound and joystick devices too, obviously).  Are there
drivers for either of these two devices?  Any idea why it does not seem
to be detecting the port of the second device properly?  I also tried
uncommenting the opl0 at isa? port 0x388 line, but it was not detected.

    Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry