Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/25/1998 23:10:25
Well, given that I said mid-january, and it's now mid-to-late october,
I'd say it's more like three months.   Why have 1.3.3?   Because it's
a low-risk upgrade - somebody who's currently running 1.3.2 can
upgrade to 1.3.3 and expect very little to change other than bug fixes
and perhaps some new drivers.   Upgrading to 1.4 will be a bigger
deal, although still by no means grossly traumatic.

NetBSD does in fact use a different numbering scheme than the rest of
the world - 1.4 is a major change from 1.3.   It would be more
analogous to FreeBSD incrementing a major version number.   Actually,
the Linux 2.0 to 2.2 version change is probably a similar level of
change, although we don't make a habit of breaking userland
interfaces, so again it should be less traumatic.

Anyway, my recommendation is that you port to -current and announce
with 1.4, but if you want to go the 1.3.3 route, that's not an
unreasonable choice either.   It's just not what I would do.

			       _MelloN_