Subject: Re: T3/T1 cards - interest
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
From: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/25/1998 18:22:01
At 03:41 PM 10/25/98 -0500, Ted Lemon wrote:

>> Is netbsd to the point where *most" users are using the release, or are the
>> majority still running -current .? We're considering
>> re-porting to NetBSD...which we previously dropped because
>> everyone wanted -current which we could not realistically support.
>
>Hm.   The 1.3 release is almost a year old now.   We are expecting to
>do a 1.3.3 release shortly, but if I were you, I'd target the 1.4
>release - that should be out by mid-January, and if you have a driver
>that works in 1.4, your driver will have a longer product life.   So
>against your better judgement, I would suggest that you port to
>-current.   If you don't want to support users running -current, wait
>for 1.4 to ship, and support them on that.

yeah yeah. And back in the 1.1 days everyone said...wait for 1.2. thats
part of
the problem.

Is 1.4 going to be so different from 1.3.3 that we should bypass what is
currently
stable? Its only a minor release (unless you use a different numbering
system then
the rest of the world), so why are you implying that it would be a waste of
time to
port to 1.3.3?

Also, if 1.4 is due out in 2 months, why are you doing a 1.3.3? It make
little sense.

Dennis