Subject: Re: NAT Trouble
To: James Snow <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rasmus Wiman <rasmus@ebox.tninet.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/25/1998 23:30:00
>mapped  in      0       out     0
>added   0       expired 0
>inuse   0
>rules   2
>List of active MAP/Redirect filters:
>map ppp0 10.0.0.0/24  -> 0.0.0.0/32  portmap tcp/udp 40000:60000
>map ppp0 10.0.0.0/24  -> 0.0.0.0/32

>List of active sessions:

>I can verify with tcpdump that the client machine is indeed making
>requests and they are making it to the gateway, but the NAT doesn't seem
>to see tem at all.

>Anyone have any ideas?

This looks very much like the problems I experienced when I started playing
with ipf. My server could access the net, but not the clients. The problem was
that I had believed in the FAQs/docs on the subject which said that generic
kernels would work. They didn't, I had to add the GATEWAY option and recompile
the kernal to make it work.

Actually, this confuses me a lot! I thought that the purpose of ifp was to do
the gatewaying instead of the kernal, thus providing the filtering/translation
required for firewalling/NAT. Who knows, my network might be wide open to
attackers!

                        Rasmus  Wiman
                   THE LAST SURFER IN HELL

rasmus@ebox.tninet.se (Preferred)