Subject: Re: NAT Trouble
To: Calvin Vette (IT- Borders Online) <CVETTE@borders.com>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@name.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/1998 17:50:34
"Calvin Vette (IT- Borders Online)" says:
> That was pretty much my experience, word for word, except that I didn't even
> bother with Win95 originally.
> They only say it doesn't work because it's not supported.

They didn't tell me it doesn't work -- they told me the installation
is not complete until they've verified the ethernet address of the
machine connecting to their network via dhcp and they don't know how
to or want to deal with learning how to do that under other OS's.  But
the sales guy quite helpfully told me I was free to move the ethernet
card to another machine after they were done, or install a different
OS on the machine then, etc.  On the whole, I was very impressed with
their competence in comparison to say, my phone company.  By contrast
with friends' stories of even simple things like ISDN installation it
went very smoothly.

As far as the card I had, it was the cheapest I could find that was
supposed to be the same chipset as the 3Com from the mediaone
supported hardware list.  The box also boased about its compatability
with 3com, but who knows?

As to NAT, it's officially disallowed to use your MediaOne cable modem
for traffic from multiple computers, but on their newsgroups they tell
you how to do it using Linux.  The semi-official rationale is that
they're only really concerned with people going into business as
mini-ISPs by way of their network.

Regards,
James Wetterau