Subject: Re: NAT Trouble
To: Calvin Vette (IT- Borders Online) <CVETTE@borders.com>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/1998 17:01:42
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:21:14 EDT "Calvin Vette (IT- Borders Online)" writes
> It was pretty straight forward. I called the cable company (Mediaone), let
> them run the initial wiring install and modem check, asked them to leave the
> Ethernet card and Win95 software and instructions in the box, then plugged
> the modem into my Ethernet card. From there, I ran dhcpclient, and that was
> it. Once it was working, I enabled dhcpclient into my /etc/rc.conf, and used
> their CD as a coaster.

If the cable modem connection is the second ethernet in your system (ie. you
are also connected to a local network) then be aware that dhclient will replace
the content of /etc/resolv.conf with something suitable for your cable modem
connection, which is not necessarily the right thing for your LAN.

If you are using NetBSD 1.3.x, watch out for the dhclient-script
deleting IP addresses on already configured interfaces, like your LAN
interface. I think this has been fixed in -current.  Basically, I have modified
my dhclient-script to exit if it gets called for an interface other then the one
with the cable modem and to not touch the /etc/resolv.conf file.

For dhcp to work with some cable modem providers you need to set the correct
hostname, either as the native system name or in /etc/dhclient.conf, just
for the dhcp exchange:

interface "de0" {
        send host-name "cr1000270-a";
}