Subject: Re: cdrecord + ATAPI locking up
To: Andy Loukes <aloukes@argogroup.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/1998 19:22:29
On Oct 22, Andy Loukes wrote
> I have recently got cdrecord working with an ATAPI HP 7100 cd writer (yes
> I know ATAPI sucks, but it wasn't up to me!).
>
> The whole machine locks up when it is 'fixating' the disk. The cd writer
> is on a different ide interface to the harddisk.
>
> Is anyone else getting this, is there anything I can do about it, should I
> ask elsewhere?

What version of NetBSD do you use ?
With the stock 1.3.2 ATAPI driver, there's a problem with timeouts:
SCSI commands timeouts after 10s, regardless of what the atapibus
layer asked. So the fixate command will time out, which is, I the reason of
your problem.
Maybe trying the latest IDE patches for 1.3.2 will fix the problem ...
-current has more fixes I didn't have the time to port back to 1.3.2.