Subject: Re: pppd won't work from init?
To: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/1998 13:09:48
On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 08:11:00PM +1000, Joel Reicher wrote:
> Sorry to say something really obvious, but checking the obvious usually
> has its place. :)
>
> Have you specified everything with full pathnames, including the chat
> executable, etc?

Argh.  I was going to reply "yes, of course", but then I decided to
look through the scripts etc. once more.. and that was it.  I didn't
specify full path for the chat command.. and when I tried starting
pppd from init, path didn't contain /usr/sbin and.....  Well, it works
as expected now.

I also had another problem with setting up PAP authentication.  I copied
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets over from a NetBSD 1.2 system and thought everything
would be ok.  Wrong!  The current pppd needs _four_ words per line in
pap-secrets.  The fourth word is the IP address to be accepted for the
remote host.  I had to add another '*' to accept all IP's.

Seems to be working fine now.  All I need to do is hack pppd to use
a radius server for authentication now....

Thanks a bunch to everyone who helped me in this!

  -jm