Subject: PPP authentication/IPCP errors to ISPs
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@internetpaper.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/20/1998 04:26:05
--------------24D314A8BAE78E9017A6D4C8

Can the pppd that comes with NetBSD allow one to connect to the large
ISPs out there?

I have been able to configure PPP on NetBSD to connect to UUNet, Netcom
(US & Canada), GlobalServe, etc.  However, no matter what I do with my
PPP configuration on NetBSD, I cannot connect to other large ISPs like
Sprint Canada, AT&T Canada, SHL, etc. due to authentication or IPCP
errors.

For example with AT&T Canada, my login chat script inputs the login and
password, when the ISP prompts for them.  The PPP link is established
(Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty01), but my NetBSD machine cannot determine
the local and remote IP numbers from the ISP, which are dynamic.

In the case with Sprint Canada, they use cleartext PAP, so I've
configured my pap-secrets file, but I can't even authenticate onto the
ISP.

I've successfully configured PPP on NetBSD with login scripts, pap,
and chap authentication, but they is still many large ISPs that I
cannot use with NetBSD.  (Win95 has no problems using these ISPs.)

Could it be that these ISP's are using some type Microsoft extentions
on their authentication or IPCP?  Could modemd be used to log into an
ISP, not just host one?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, Alicia.
--------------24D314A8BAE78E9017A6D4C8

begin:          vcard
fn:             Alicia da Conceicao
n:              da Conceicao;Alicia
org:            Internet Paper Inc.
adr:            121 Richmond Street West, Suite 1104;;;Toronto;Ontario;M5H-2G4;Canada
email;internet: alicia@internetpaper.com
title:          Senior Writer
tel;work:       416-860-9378
tel;fax:        416-860-9380