Subject: Com port problem
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: James Snow <sno@flesh.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/1998 12:12:26
I'm having a slight problem getting my NetBSD install to talk to any
modems on its com ports. I'm hoping that someone can give me a push in the
right direction.

The machine is an old 486 Gateway with an external Supra modem. Trying to
talk to the modem manually with cu results in the following on both com
ports, regardless of which one the modem is plugged in to:

--
gatekeeper# cu -l /dev/tty00
Connected.

Disconnected.
gatekeeper# cu -l /dev/tty01
Connected.
cu: write: Input/output error

Disconnected.
gatekeeper#
--

The "Input/output" error occurs as soon as I type anything. (Like, AT.)

I've checked where the BIOS thinks the com ports are, and it matches where
NetBSD thinks they are as shown by dmesg. I've also checked the IRQs for
conflicts with other devices and there don't seem to be any.

--
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns8250 or ns16450, no fifo
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns8250 or ns16450, no fifo

Could there be something to the "no fifo" message? Has anyone encountered
anything like this before? Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go
from here? Should I be emailing another list?

Thanks in advance,
James Snow