Subject: Re: trouble with netscape 4.5?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/18/1998 16:12:23
Todd Vierling writes:
> On 18 Oct 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> : Anyone else having the following problem running Netscape Communicator
> : 4.5 (in linux emulation?)
>
> Excuse the `duh!?', but why the Linux version instead of the BSDI version or
> FreeBSD version?  I'd suspect the latter two to have more reliability.

The Linux Netscape doesn't ever crash on me, which I can't say about
the others.

Furthermore, the Linux version has decent Java support, including a
JIT, and the BSDI version doesn't.

> That said, I'm not quite sure why it gave you the indicated behavior.  The
> ELF magic number must be different and unrecognized by exec_elf32.  Even so,
> that still doesn't quite explain it running under a shell....

Of course it does. If no executable format gets detected by the kernel
it tries to run it as a shell script.

The problem is that I can't figure out for the life of me why it isn't
detected as an executable.

Perry