Subject: Re: storing data in a code segment - ok?
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/17/1998 23:10:32
"Brian C. Grayson" <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu> writes:
>   Running it on itself (I don't have the oracle stuff) produces output like:
> % objdump-linux --headers objdump-linux
> objdump-linux:     file format elf32-i386
>
> Sections:
> Idx Name          Size      VMA       LMA       File off  Algn
> [ ... ]

Which are approximately useless, at least if you're trying to
determine how the bits are mapped, because the section headers have
nothing to do with the way the kernel maps the bits.

The kernel uses the program header to map objects (as it should).
That can be had via 'objdump -x'.  (Maybe other ways, too, but that's
what I tend to use 8-)

cgd