Subject: Re: installation problems
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Rik van Mierlo <rik@ricardis.tudelft.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/17/1998 22:48:47
On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Oct 11, Rik van Mierlo wrote
> > hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install NetBSD on my PC, so I divided my first harddisk into
> > 4 partitions:
> >
> > 350Mb FAT (drive C)
> > 400Mb no partition type, meant for NetBSD
> >  60Mb no partition type, meant for NetBSD swap
> > 200Mb FAT (drive D) Windows NT swap.
> >
> > When I boot from the NetBSD install floppy I choose install, it gives me
> > the warning that I should backup my data, and asks whether I want to
> > continue.
> > So I select yes, after which it stopped  with the remark that wd1 and
> > wd0 don't have a disklabel.
> >
> > reboot -> utilities -> /bin/sh
> >
> > "fdisk -i /dev/rwd0d" or something like that and the remark about wd0 not
> > having a disklabel disappeared. So I rebooted again and did the same for
> > wd1 after which there were no more remarks from the install program, it
> > just stopped.
> >
> > What is the install program looking for at that moment? Should I try to
> > edit the disklabels by hand?
>
> No, you should need that. You should't even need to 'fdisk -i', the install
> program should just propose you to change the partition table.
> How much ram does your PC have ?

it's a P133 with 48Mb,
1 ATAPI CD-ROM
2 IDE harddisks (1 Gb and 6 Gb)
1 SCSI harddisk (2 Gb)
1 SCSI CD-ROM

> Also, you don't need a separate partition for NetBSD and NetBSD swap.
> NetBSD doesn't work the same way as linux does: in the BIOS partition
> table, you make a partition for NetBSD (type 165). Then NetBSD will
> partition this portion of disk for his needs (e.g. /, swap, /usr, ...).
> So I suggest you delete partition 2 & 3, and you just create a 460Mb partition
> for NetBSD.

First I created 1 partition instead of 2 -> same problems
then I deleted that partition too, so now there's just 460Mb free space on
the drive, still the same problem.

Now, there is a SCSI drive in my computer, about which the install
program doesn't report anything. I waited for about 1 minute for anything
to happen, but the install program just hangs. Could the SCSI-drive be a
problem? The SCSI-card + drive + CD-ROM are detected by NetBSD when the
system boots.

-Rik van Mierlo
-rik@ricardis.tudelft.nl