Subject: Re: *BSD & ATM
To: Chris Ewert <radio_1@geocities.com>
From: Tom T. Thai <tomthai@future.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/1998 15:22:19
from http://www.ccrc.wustl.edu/pub/chuck/tech/bsdatm/bsdatm.html, it seems
like the drivers should be include as port of NetBSD, OpenBSD, and
FreeBSD or atleast they say it supports those cards:

CONFIGURATION

To configure BSD ATM into a kernel, add one of the following lines to the
kernel's config file:

  en*     at sbus? slot ? offset ?        # NetBSD SBUS
  en*     at pci? dev ? function ?        # NetBSD, OpenBSD PCI
  device en0                              # FreeBSD PCI

To configure NATM into a kernel, add the following like to the kernel's
config file:

  options NATM

If all goes well the kernel should print something like this during
autoconfig:

On NetBSD or OpenBSD with a PCI device:

  en0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0
  en0: interrupting at irq 3
  en0: ATM midway v0, board IDs 6.0, Utopia (pipelined), 512KB on-board
RAM
  en0: maximum DMA burst length = 64 bytes
  en0: 7 32KB receive buffers, 8 32KB transmit buffers allocated

NetBSD with an SBUS device:

  en0 at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x0
  en0: claims to be at the following IPLs: 16 1 2 3 5 7 9 13
  en0: we choose IPL 5
  en0: midway v0, board IDs 0.2, SUNI, 512KB on-board RAM
  en0: maximum DMA burst length = 4 bytes
  en0: 7 32KB receive buffers, 8 32KB transmit buffers allocated

FreeBSD with a PCI device:

  en0 <Efficient Networks ENI-155p> rev 0 int a irq 5 on pci0:16

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Chris Ewert wrote:

> I also have a ADSL line, and have the exact same problem.  I was informed that
> there are no such drivers for either any of the BSDs or Lynux.  A college
> professor that I was working with, who also has a ADSL line, obtained the
> documentation from Effecent on the card and we started work on a driver, but
> we haven't had much time to work on it, and I am not firmiliar with what to
> do, but I have all the stuff we worked on.  If someone would like to help me
> with that driver that would be great.  I know a lot of people that could use
> the driver.
>
> Chris
>
> "Tom T. Thai" wrote:
>
> > http://www.ccrc.wustl.edu/pub/chuck/tech/bsdatm/bsdatm.html
> >
> > has info on ATM that was integrated into *BSD OSes including NetBSD.
> > Anyone using ATM with NetBSD?  Since I couldn't find the Adaptec card on
> > their site, I looked into http://www.efficient.com/pci_eisa.html ATM card.
> >
> > In particular, I was looking to terminate an ATM line from the teleco into
> > a NetBSD box containing one of the above cards and use ADSL at home so I
> > and coworkers may access our servers at work.  Is this possible or would I
> > need to terminate the teleco ATM line with an ATM switch?

> > Thomas T. Thai          Infomedia Interactive Communications
> > tom@iic.net             TEL 612.376.9090 * FAX 612.376.9087