Subject: Re: A couple of questions about the new serial console
To: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/1998 10:03:55
On 15 Oct 1998, Robert V. Baron wrote:

> In principle there is supposed to be an electrical handshake option.
> But this never worked for me.  So the boot prints out ":-(" then
> waits 7 seconds for you to type a character on the serial line.

OK, then. I saw that, but couldn't find it anywhere in the vt
programmers's guide. :) What's supposed to happen on an unattended
boot? The wierd thing is, sometimes it goes on by itself (always to
stop before adding swap and mounting), and sometimes it waits for me
to hit a key, which opens the console.

All I really want it to do, is to boot unattended for the most part,
but to give me the option of booting from an alternate drive from time
to time.