Subject: Re: Network question
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bernd@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/1998 15:00:28
On 16.10.98, 14:28:36, Markus Illenseer wrote:
> > ibiscus---------- margo ---------- cactus
> >
> > ibiscus and margo are linked via sl0 (slip). margo and cactus are linked via
> > ep0 (ethernet). cactus is my gateway to Internet.
>
>  Change slip to ppp, makes thinks easier, ie. default routing and proxy-arp.

No, for continuous connections between two local machines slip is
_much_ easier. ppp has been designes for dial-up-connections with
authentication etc. Slip only requires an ifconfig and slattach
command on each machine, whereas ppp requires some advanced setup,
especially on the server side.

> > How to make things so I can ping all machines from anywhere, and acces to
> > Internet from any machines ?
>
>  You can't unless you providers knows about margo or ibiscus or you install
> IP-NT.

Make a kernel with ipnat and look at the ipnat manpage and the example
docs at /usr/share/examples/ipf/nat-setup and
/usr/share/examples/ipf/nat.eg

There are some restrictions in using ip-nat. The other computers
cannot be accessed from the outside (ip-nat makes some kind of
firewall for you LAN), and ftp only works in "passive"
mode. Webbrowsers usually do this automatically, for command line ftp
clients you need to use the "passive" command at the beginning of the
session.

It might also be a good idea to install a cache proxy (squid) on the
internet router machine.

--
Bernd Sieker