Subject: Re: pppd won't work from init?
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/1998 15:28:29
On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 07:52:15AM -0400, John F. Woods wrote:
> One problem I've had doing this is that /etc/netstart is run before /usr or
> /var get mounted; in particular, this can mean that you wind up with stale
> lock files in /usr/spool/lock (or /var/spool/lock) which make pppd refuse
> to run for mysterious reasons (since by the time you check, the lock file
> is "gone", having been mounted over).
>
> Once that is taken care of, pppd starts fine for me from init.

This wasn't my problem - I tried adding the tty line with pppd into /etc/ttys
and then did "kill -HUP 1".. never tried to reboot (well, I did, but it didn't
make things any better or worse).

Does init open the tty line before starting the program (getty or pppd)?
init was whining that "getty was repeating too quickly" because pppd always
died immediately with the "Connect script failed" message.  (Argh, almost
like those "Error -4235" messages in windoze.. it tells you something didn't
work, but is very careful not to reveal what the PROBLEM is.. ;-)

  -jm