Subject: Re: pppd won't work from init?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/1998 04:30:18
Why not run pppd from the "normal" place in startup?  Just define the
ppp peer in your rc.conf, and /etc/netstart will take care of the rest.

And, if you use the persist option pppd will bring the connection back
up if it should ever go down.

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Jukka Marin wrote:

> Trying to get a few pppd's started by init, I noticed that the chat script
> always fails (I'm not sure if it runs at all, pppd just reports the connect
> script failed).  With the same config files, pppd works just fine when run
> manually or from /etc/rc.local.  I wanted to use init to keep the pppd's
> running at all times, but it doesn't seem to be possible.. am I doing
> something wrong here?
>
> This is with a 1.3.1 kernel, BTW.
>
> (After I get this working, I'll try hacking pppd to use a radius server
> for authentication...)
>
>   -jm

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |