Subject: Re: A couple of questions about the new serial console
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/15/1998 07:10:31
Hi!

> I'm trying to set up a 486 to use a real vt420 as a serial console.
> I've compiled and installed the boot-blocks, and it pretty much works,
> except it started doing something strange. After

I've that same setup here.

> 	root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
> 	root file system type: ffs
>
> it just sits there. After hitting break to get into the DDB, then "c",
> it goes right on into multi-user. Any ideas?

(a) That is a race condition between kernel output and userland console
output. It happens sometimes, not always (but may happen always in certain
kernel configurations). If it hit's you a bit later just typing any character
on the vt420 will break the lock and output will resume. If it happens while
interrupts are still disabled, you are lost. There was a discussion about
this a few month ago on port-i386, and as soon as I manage to find time
I'm going to hunt it down.

(b) how do you "hit break" on a vt420? Mine has (german) LK401-AG keyboard
and I got it without manual...

> Another thing. What's the difference between CONSDEV_COM0KBD and
> CONSDEV_COM0? The boot_console man page talks about CONSDEV_COM0, the
> Makefile in stand/biosboot suggests CONSDEV_COM0KBD. They both seem to
> do something. Could anyone explain the difference?

Nope, sorry (even don't understand the code difference). I use
CONSDEV_COM0, DIRECT_SERIAL and CONSPEED=19200.

Martin