Subject: Re: Will it cause any problem if I edit the 'disklabel' on a 'DOS-only' HD?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/14/1998 19:04:53
 > Yes, you need to be carefull to not write the label back to the disk,
 > it will trash you DOS partition table (it will warn you about this,
 > and you'll have to enter 'yes' to really do it). But if you use
 > 'disklabel' and not 'disklanel -r', it will only update the in-memory
 > copy and won't touch the disk.

I have somewhere a recipe for adding a netbsd disklabel to a netbsd
partition on a second disk that doesn't already have one, but where
you don't want to trash other partitions on that disk. I can probably
dig it up if someone wants it.

It turned out to be rather nontrivial, because to prevent catastrophe
you need to write the disklabel to the c partition... but the c
partition gives ENXIO when there isn't a disklabel. I forget whether
it turned out to be possible to do it without clobbering and restoring
the fdisk table, but I think it wasn't.

This may have been under 1.2, though.

--
   - David A. Holland             | (please continue to send non-list mail to
     dholland@cs.utoronto.ca      | dholland@hcs.harvard.edu. yes, I moved.)