Subject: Re: How large 'Swap' partition should I have?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bernd@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/13/1998 22:28:21
On 14.10.98, 02:44:25, rsguo@ms25.hinet.net wrote:
> I have ever install Linux and FreeBSD with 32M swap partition. They both
> have X windows. But they seem to never use the swap. Can someone give me
> a suggestion that how large swap partition should I have on NetBSD?
> There are 64M RAM on my PC.

That depends very much on what you are trying to do with it. I have
two machines, one with 96 and one with 80MB of RAM, both have about
200 MB swap, since I do a lot of 3D rendering and image processing.

If you don't expect to use any memory-intensive tasks in the future,
32 MB will probably be more than enough, you might also get along
without swap at all.

NetBSD will not use a significantly different amount of swap space
than Linux or FreeBSD.

--
Bernd Sieker